search icon

Small Animal License

A Small Animal License is required for the following allowed small animals: 
  • Chickens (the keeping of up to six (6) chicken hens)
  • Bees (Beehives for domesticated honeybees)
  • Dwarf miniature goats 
  • Pot-bellied pigs 
  • Rabbits, chinchillas, or ducks 
Fill out and submit a Small Animal License Application using our Online Permitting Citizen Portal (register for an account to see application options.)

You will need the following to complete your application:

  • One legible copy of the recorded warranty deed for the property reflecting ownership – OR – A letter of authorization from the owner if the applicant is not the property owner.
  • A written letter describing the request, which includes what measures will be taken to create a predator-resistant environment
  • One copy of a site plan of the property noting the location of the coup, hive or cage
  • Distance from the property line is required to ensure appropriate setbacks
  • Pictures, sketches or diagrams of the proposed structure, including dimensions and square footage
  • Payment to the City of Golden according to the current fee schedule. (will provide link)
Please give us seven (7) business days to accept your application and get back to you via phone or email.
The Small Animal License is not subject to renewal but can be suspended or revoked if the city determines the property is not in compliance with the code requirements.
For more information, contact or call (303) 384-8097.
footer shape