search icon

Short-Term Rentals

Two Types of Short Term Rental Licenses

Short Term Rentals (STRs) are dwelling units that are rented for less than 30 days. Two types of STR Licenses are available depending on the property’s zoning designation:

Short Term Rental License

Located in residential zoning districts (RE, R-1, R1-A, R-2, R-3 and PUD’s that are residential in nature) must be occupied by the property owner for at least 10 months of the year, while having a portion of the dwelling unit rented for less than 30 days at a time.

Tourist Homes

Located in commercial zoning districts (C-1, C-2, RC, CMU and PUD’s that are commercial in nature) and have a unit or portion of a dwelling unit rented for less than 30 days. Tourist homes are not required to be the primary residence or occupied by the owner and do not require proof of primary residency upon application of record.

How to Apply for a License

  • Licenses are $200 for two years and are non-refundable and non-transferable.
  • You will first need to apply for a Sales and Use Tax License with our Finance Department prior to applying for a Short-Term Rental License.
  • The Sales and Use Tax License number issued from the Finance Department must be listed on the Short-Term Rental License application online.

Required Documents

  • Proof of ownership (recorded warranty deed for the property)
  • Two Proofs of primary residence (if applying for a license in a residential zoned district.) 
    • Acceptable forms of proof include (2 of the following): Voter registration, Car Registration, Driver’s License, Tax documents (must include primary address)
  • Proof of fire, hazard, and liability insurance coverage of 1 million per person/occurrence
  • Liability insurance document and Liability Insurance Affidavit
  • Signed and Initialed  Life and Safety Certification Form
  • Signed and notarized Short-Term Rental Affidavit (if applying for a license in a residential zoned district)
Please allow up to 10 business days for processing. Once approved, your license number must be included in all advertising of the licensed premises.

Apply online on our permit portal

Important Information

  • Primary and accessory structures are allowed to be rented on a short-term basis. All structures must comply with the regulations for primary and accessory structures including maximum size, height, lot coverage, and setbacks for the property’s zone district.
  • If a lot contains more than one legal dwelling unit, including accessory dwelling units, only one dwelling unit on the lot is eligible for a license.
  • Occupancy of a short-term rental shall not exceed the total number of unrelated persons that are otherwise permitted to occupy the property per the dwelling unit’s zoning district. For example, a single-family lot may have no more than four unrelated individuals occupying the property.
  • Parking Regulations are one parking space per room rented.
footer shape